The most privileged class of Biharis

It was my first class for Organizational Behaviour (in short OB, our first semester subject at my MBA college) when I was reminded that Biharis are extremely special in this world – Naturally gifted comedians. It doesn’t take them a single effort of any muscle when someone starts laughing on them without any cause. A number of times I, along with my few friends, have tried to figure out the specialities which make Biharis the in-born celebrity in India. Of course, the 'language and accent' is one of the many invaluable trademarks of Biharis. It has always amazed me how people in India doesn’t recognize completely different Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Oriya but naturally figure out the Bihari accent which has never been at a distinguishable distance from Hindi. I think whenever nature gifts Bihar with a celebrity; it also creates his followers in different parts, across all over India. Biharis are always noticed, watched after and taken care of.

Being a Bihari, I have found myself at the centre stage of an Omni-directional question fire round on a numerous occasions. And every time I have noticed people having a foxed gaze on me like they will never get another chance of looking at some extinguishing species. This is excerpt of a conversation I had in an entrance interview of a very reputed management college in India:

Interviewer1: Introduce yourself. Tell me what your background is.

Me: Sir, I am from Bihar. I did my engineering..........

(Interviewer2 & 3 suddenly raised their head and looked at me with that typical foxed gaze. Till now they were busy in signing documents and checking phone calls.)

Interviewer3: What? From Bihar? (The reaction would have been same had I said “I am from Mars”.)

Me: Yes Sir. I come from Begusarai district.

Interviewer2: So, you are REALLY from Bihar? (Being from Bihar was not good enough. I will have to be REALLY from Bihar)

Me: Yes. I am REALLY from Bihar.

Interviewer2 (to Interviewer 1 & 3, with full amazement): Look Sir, people from Bihar also want to do MBA. (Like, he is the first one to discover that chimps can also learn)

Interviewer3: I am very impressed with you. Tell me how it feels to be from Bihar. (He was grinning and his head was spinning in a vertical plane around a horizontal axis passing through his pointed nose)

Me: Sir, It’s same like being from India. Nothing different.

Interviewer1: No, No. Bihar is completely different. Once I went to Begusarai (he pronounced it as Begumsarai) and there was a sign-board I noticed. It was stating “Get your enemy killed in just 100 rupees”. Don’t you think ‘100 rupees’ is too less for such a business? (I roamed around my hometown within 5 seconds but I couldn’t recall if I ever saw such a sign-board or not. Oh! Come on yaar! This fellow has never been to Bihar, not at least to Begusarai.)

Me: Not at all sir. I think you saw this sign-board on a medical store. It must be an advertisement of some Kayam-Churna which is an Ayurvedic medicine and kills enemies like stomach-ache and gastric. In 100 rupees you can get a big jar of Kayam-Churna.

Interviewer3: Ha, Ha.... Do you have enough money to pay fee for our institute? It’s more than 10 lacs this year. Don’t you know? (His head was still spinning)

Me: Yes sir. I don’t have that much money. But your college is a prestigious institute. So, I will easily get loan from a leading bank.

Interviewer2: Who will give loan to Biharis? They never pay premium for their loans. (And banks complain to him about all of its defaulters.)

Me: Actually sir, it’s the same story across all part of country. Last year, more than 10% customers from an educated high class society of Chandigarh were among the defaulters of SBI for their big ticket loan. And for a loan of up to 1.5 lacs, approximately 50% customers in Chandigarh didn’t pay their premium. Country has highest number of loan defaulters in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra but poor farmers there are still unable to pay anything. I think banks will not have........

Interviewer1: OK, OK....Tell me, what can be the only solution to Bihar’s problem.

Me: Simple sir. We will have to identify what the problem is.

Interviewer1: And what the problem is?

Me: I think ‘illiteracy and unawareness’ is the main problem.

Interviewer1: So you know the problem. How it can be solved?

Me: By a cumulative effort. We will have to work together. It will be good if your college agrees to have a branch in Bihar.

Interviewer1: Ha, Ha....It’s not our problem dear. You should think of some other way (We are here to just talk about them and to make fun of you guys). Anyway, thank you. You can go now.

Me: Thank you sir.

(I noticed interviewer2 & 3 were still having that typical foxed gaze even though interviewer3’s head was still spinning.)

It’s the same condition everywhere. In almost all the interviews I have faced till now, the topic of conversation had been Bihar. I think they understand that Biharis know all the other things but about Bihar. So, it is pretty good. Being a Bihari, you just don’t need to learn anything else. Everyone in India is fascinated by Bihari’s charisma and they will ask about you only.

7 comments:

  1. Bravo!!!..
    Baba i can readily relate to the situations that u have brought out beautifully...I agree people around has have been mocking us since ages but none of them have ever tried to look for the real problem underneath...it is rightly said by someone"u donot get the feel of smthin until ur on the same wavelength".

    No matter we are mocked..or depicted as villains in the movies having that typical bihari accent..we still take pride in that...
    I agree to words of the interviewer..most of us do MBA's ..just for the simple reason that we compete and come out with flying colours....
    Baba keep it up...
    will closely follow ur blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. O yes ..I couldnt agree more to your blog....I proudly call myself a proud Jharkhandi and formerly a Bihari(I am a Bengali..(who too are by the way considered cowards by many including Biharis..jokes apart.).. by mother toungue though..but much above all an Indian)..
    People still think ..In Jharkhand they carry bows and arrows along with them...and I can just dare to look at them with a sarcastic smile....
    Kudos to Nitishji..who is fast changing the face of Bihar to a shape where people from Bihar get what they deserve..
    But yes I have talked to once or twice regarding the same..There is a certain degree of dignity which each one of us who come from a Bihar or a UP have to maintain..coz this face which we wear today hasnt come out of anywhere..There have been incidents where we have been wrong..and we are really sorry for that...And let us make sure no damn bihari repeats an event which disgraces the state...
    By the way I would love to see this blog in Hindi....Blogger allows for that..give it a try..

    ReplyDelete
  3. My interviews would have been easier had I been asked upon these topics. Well I was not so lucky. There is one more exception here. Everybody in India loves to give free advice. I don't know why he didn't adhere this by giving the improvement panacea for Bihar. Whenever I ask these people "have u ever visited Bihar?", the answer is invariably no!! Probably they dont know that one of the highest no of IAS officers in India are from Bihar!
    Thanks to Mr.Nitish Kumar, the actual perception as well as well as condition of Bihar is improving at an accelerated rate.
    P.S. :Did u convert that insti?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baba ..........
    AAp to macha diye.....
    Bhayanak ..More than Bhayanak..
    Its really heartening to see that intellectuals like you could found reasons to start blogging.
    I can understand the interview you are talking about.
    About the theme I think it has became a monotone coming out of every fellow bihari blogger but yours is humorous and sataristic..great job...
    read out my comments on your theme in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always taken proud in being called a Bihari. That is my identity and one of the reason that I never tried to change the way I talk even when I was at different metros in last 2 years.
    @Abhinav: It's true that Biharis are shown as villain and comedians in movies. But sometimes completely wrong picture is presented. Like it was in critically acclaimed and award winning movie Matrubhoomi. It shows the effect of skewness in sex-ratio and movie was based on Bihar. The sex-ratio everywhere in India is in favour of male (except Kerala only, as I remember), it is significantly worse in Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan and in many more state if compared with Bihar. Still producers have a prejudice that anything of such kind must be happening in Bihar only.
    @Archie: I completely agree that there have been incidents where we were wrong. We must take care when we do something at least when we are outside Bihar. Nitish has certainly made a huge difference but it depends more on us, who are representing our state. My next blog will be based on where we go wrong. So watch for it.
    @hiro: I certainly converted :). Will discuss it in detail, once we meet.
    @ Amitabh: Thanks for encouraging comments. Read your blog. Certainly we not only need to change the perception, but reality also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mast baba... really mast :)...see i'm not a BIHARI but have more BIHARI friends than of other languages' who're close to me too... i love their company, i've always felt secured whn they're around though i agree it has nothing to do with biharis or oriyas... it's all individuals' IQ n EQ, but there is denying that BIHARIS are the most helpful people i've ever met in my life :) :)... people in other parts have actually not seen BIHARIS, they know only wht they see in movies... ab ky akar sakte hain isme... but i liked ur spirit as i've always done... proud to be a BIHARI :) ...well done baba

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really Nice interview...
    Keep blogging....

    ReplyDelete